Tuesday

SHALLA: Tarzan of the Apes, finding critique groups

Where to find Tarzan of the Apes
by Edgar Rice Burroughs for FREE


Project Gutenberg, of course!

You can even listen to an audio recording of it at Librivox


Of course, you can always buy it


Tarzan of the Apes (Signet Classics)










How to find a good critique group:


Now, a good critique group can really help even if each writer writes a different genre. In my case anyway, I get a different perspective in looking at my work.
What's a bad critique group?

Jealousy is never good. And worse, if someone likes your story so much that they start writing a story just like it. Stay away from those.
Luckily, I found a nice critique group with members writing from different genres. Everyone's respectful of everyone else's work and the critiques were honest.

We took turns reading our work, and then each one in the group took their turn saying what they thought of what was just read.



Make sure not to take anything personally, I've learned that from writing so much. Sending subs to magazines helped me with that one. You send in your submission and then it can get rejected. That's just how it is. You get rejected enough times (while receiving acceptance here and there) you learn, it's just part of the whole game.



Now that I'm an editor, I see it from one more perspective as well. Sometimes, it's a good piece of work, really, but considering the magazine's specific number of pages it just can't be fitted in the issue, therefore it must be rejected. Oh well. Although, I've made an executive decision on this one, SHALLA Magazine publishes them online with the probability of being published in print in the future.



But I digress. Where did I find my critique group? At the public library. So check your public library and see if there is a writers group. In my case, the library funds and operates it. And they even have tutors, who'd read my work and help me edit it, all for free. Tutors are volunteers, writers from the community. I'll take that.


How to find a local Critique Group






Avatar Movie Review



It's a good movie. James Cameron is so talented. Titanic is still my favorite though--but that could be because I saw Avatar past my bedtime and with the 3-D glasses, and the 3-D animation… well, okay, I may have dozed a little in the beginning of it. But I woke up the second half and was sitting up straight and could not take my eyes off of the movie, as if I got a shot of cappuccino and it was only 11am outside.



I like the message in Avatar. Respect nature. Respect others that may not look or think like you. Great lessons for children to learn and for many adults to remember.






And I built an a-store, that's an Amazon Associates Store
--oh, why not?

 

Thanks for Visiting!

Come back soon and check out my Best Sellers :)

Questions? Compliments? (I like getting kind emails :)

Please title emails with "Hi Shalla" otherwise they might get deleted.

shalla_de_guzman@yahoo.com

A ShallaDeGuzman Writers Group | Let's Shalla Blog | SHALLA Magazine | SHALLA on Twitter
Get Your Book Published! | Podcast | MySpace
| Facebook | SHALLA on YouTube | Shalla's Book List for Writers



Copyright Shalla DeGuzman. All rights reserved.