Saturday

SHALLA: Book List for Writers

Book List (and CD’s) for Writers
.
I’ve read many books on writing. Here are my favorites:
.
It’s good to know how to add humor to your writing project. Even a drama has to have bits with humor otherwise it’s too much of a downer.
.
Comedy Writing Step by Stepby Carol Burnett (Foreword), Gene Perret
I like this one because the tips are good, helpful. I can use the tips and they work. It has exercises too that are very useful in honing in the craft of writing funny.
.
For Plotting, what else but the Plot Doctor by Carolyn Greene. It’s step by step guide from building points necessary to your story (Inciting Incident, Plot Points etc. what they are and where they go) It’s helped me write good, tight, one page synopsis easily and a lot faster than anything.
.
Then to actually write scenes, this has been best Scene and Structure (Elements of Fiction Writing)by Jack M. Bickham This guy is a genius (yes, my opinion but it’s true J The technique he teaches in this book on how to build scenes, how Internalizations are constructed (repeat scene goal, interpret how things are going: show secondary goals as they may develop…What View Point character must try next, etc.) Linking scenes. What’s a sequel and how to write them? On and on… great, great, fantastic, very helpful book. (And good price too).
.
After reading Jack M. Bickham’s Scene and Structure, I had to read his other books. Writing and Selling Your Novel is more general but it’s good for beginners. It goes from thinking of your story idea to getting your novel published.
.
I got other books for plotting too. And if I didn’t have the Plot Doctor, this is a good one too Building Better Plotsby Robert Kernen Good ideas but I liked the step-by-step approach in Plot Doctor’s more.
.
Okay, those books are for the writing of your novel. But there’s more to getting published. You not only need to write a “damn good novel” you have to be able to sell it, right?
.
I realize it takes more than talent and skills, it takes luck. So, this book’s a gem for that.
.
How to Make Luck: The Seven Secrets Lucky People Use to Succeedby Marc Myers
.
“Luck, advises Myers, means mastering one or two of these lucky behaviors: Make life look easy, but don't rub it in; make yourself appealing; be as curious as a child; improve the lives of other people; let power brokers own a piece of you; don't burn your bridges. The book includes chapters on each of these secrets as well as interviews with successful people and tips for limiting bad luck.”
.
People call me lucky. I’m the girl who bumps into someone who turns out to be an editor just looking for someone like me to pitch to her. And of course I’ll turn out to have the perfect pitch so I do. Something like this happened to me 7 times at the last conference I went to, a couple months ago. Got 7 requests. Now I’m just finishing the novel already and send it out. Anyway, you can be lucky too (And if you’re already lucky, you can get luckier). It’s like an energy. You think lucky, you get lucky. Anyway, get this book and see for yourself.
.
For more alternative luck makers. Sure, I try them all, I’m open to everything that will help me publish my books (the honest way of course):
Creating Money: Keys to Abundance (Life Mastery Series)by Sanaya Roman, Duane Packer
.
"Get quiet, close your eyes, and think of something you wanted that you got..." (more) I wanted to make sure I’m open to more good luck and good things. So this one, just makes sure I’m open to getting published and becoming an over night super star with millions of fans (hey, you never know J Some people may have negative feelings about fulfilling their dreams. I wanted to make sure I get rid of any obstacles that would keep me from success. This one’s very helpful. I love Orin.
.
But then I went further—HYPNOSIS: “I can write... I am a writer… I love writing… Writing is fun…”
.
For hypnosis tapes, I go to wendi.com
Need a confidence booster to pitch your book?
Mover and Shaker Have you every watched a person who is influential and wondered how they have so much energy? They have a positive attitude, boundless energy, communicate in a way that gets to the point and they are effective in many areas. They get noticed! You can too. Become a mover and shaker and shake up your world!
Because I write funny, I felt “funny” should be a part of my personality:
.
Life of the Party: Have you ever wished you could be funnier, quick witted, and the life of the party?
.
Learn to let go and allow your true inner-magnetism to shine through. Being able to shine in social situations can be good for business, good for finding a mate, and putting others at ease. Let your sense of humor come out and make you a happier person.
.
Fun Stuff!
.
Will editors like your book? Will your manuscript make billions and gazillions of dollars? Will you be the next Nora Roberts? Well, let’s ask the psychic shall we?
.
This one’s fun and if you believe there are no coincidence only a big master plan, hey—Here’s Morgana’s Free Tarot Reading




Coming May 6

Shalla is on LitBits




"Going Bontoc"

by




Shalla DeGuzman






Read Shalla?





"The Fish In My Bed"


by


Shalla DeGuzman

Shalla LIVE! On MadHatters Review Issue 6

***

And, ever dated someone from online?

E-Crush

by

Shalla de Guzman

now on Word Riot: good writing, no remorse



*******
 

Thanks for Visiting!

Come back soon and check out my Best Sellers :)

Questions? Compliments? (I like getting kind emails :)

Please title emails with "Hi Shalla" otherwise they might get deleted.

shalla_de_guzman@yahoo.com

A ShallaDeGuzman Writers Group | Let's Shalla Blog | SHALLA Magazine | SHALLA on Twitter
Get Your Book Published! | Podcast | MySpace
| Facebook | SHALLA on YouTube | Shalla's Book List for Writers



Copyright Shalla DeGuzman. All rights reserved.