Friday

How to Write a Synopsis


Writing the synopsis gets easier with practice. That's good news for many, I'm sure. I use the Plot Doctor. It makes writing the synopsis sooo much easier. It goes step by step.
Here's HOW I EAT, ER - WRITE A SYNOPSIS By Victoria J. Coe
.
This may help you. It's an online "University" where they offer a 4 week course on The Plot Doctor by Carolyn Greene. They call the class Romancing the Plot Doctor. I haven't taken the class, nor do I feel the need to, reading and using The Plot Doctor has been enough for me. I'm on my way to publication, baby! Next year, I'll be at RWA National giving lectures (I cross my fingers everyday and keep knocking on wood I have to soften my hands with cocoa butter and aloe vera at the same time!)
.
That's it for now.
Oh and if you're ready for someone to read your synopsis, I say, first get a "smart" friend/husband/wife to read it for the basics. That your sentences end with a period. That you spelled your name right, etc.
.
Second, I suggest getting a critique partner. How? Join a group like Romance Writers of America or some other writing group, meet people and see who needs a critique partner you can exchange and edit your work with.
.
Third, if you're ready to pay out, some writer's groups offer critiquing. I'd check the critiquers out first. I'm not paying out unless the reader's any good. You don't want to receive critiques that will make your writing worse. Which reminds me, you should probably stay away from groups that offer critiquing unless you're sure the critiquers know what they're doing. ie. they're published or is a publisher/editor or at least teaches a class in creative writing and is good at it. You get the picture :)
.
You can also try freelance editors. My freelance editor is a published writer. But more than that I like the way she writes and I've tested out about 10 pages with her before committing my manuscript to her editing and found, yeah, this clicks. Freelance editors can charge from cents a page to several dollars per page.
.
My suggestion: see if the freelance editor will do a try out, say 10 pages (for novels) and see if you're compatible and comfortable with his/her work. I'll write an article about how to find a freelance editor in the future.
.
You can check with Bev Rosenbaum with her prices if you're interested. (she doesn't do try outs but for something like $30 to get your first chapter critiqued is a pretty good deal. She's a published author with Harlequin and she used to be an editor for them. Her prices are pretty reasonable. You can google her and you'll get more info.
.
Best of luck to you! Write with passion! Happy Writing!!! Shalla www.shalladeguzman.com
 

Thanks for Visiting!

Come back soon and check out my Best Sellers :)

Questions? Compliments? (I like getting kind emails :)

Please title emails with "Hi Shalla" otherwise they might get deleted.

shalla_de_guzman@yahoo.com

A ShallaDeGuzman Writers Group | Let's Shalla Blog | SHALLA Magazine | SHALLA on Twitter
Get Your Book Published! | Podcast | MySpace
| Facebook | SHALLA on YouTube | Shalla's Book List for Writers



Copyright Shalla DeGuzman. All rights reserved.